kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: cb shows & wc herps

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ DFW Herp Society Forum ]

Posted by carlfranklin on September 14, 2002 at 15:24:24:

In Reply to: cb shows & wc herps posted by troy h on September 14, 2002 at 13:40:33:

One thing about the Houston event is that to them cb also means captive born. I was in the sales area just before the general public was allowed in and I couldn't see anything at all that looked to be wild caught/imported. Believe me I was looking for wc animals. I also have attended the Houston show a few times over the past few years and I would have to say that this was the one time where I did not see wild caught specimens for sale. Even looking through past printed literature from the ETHS I couldn't find anything prior to this year's material that boldly stated: No Wild Caught Herps.

If your sources are secure with their assesment that there were some specimens "flying under radar" then I hope they contact me. Otherwise I have nothing to go on and I have no choice but to dismiss their claims. As far as others having more experience with the trade than I do you're absolutely right. But how am I to know wether or not those individuals played any part in my wanting to host this type of event? And what good are they to me if they don't fill me in?

You also have to understand from my situation that I sometimes might not see what goes on behind my back. So other vendors should also help maintain the vigil. Not only would it benefit the show's integrity, but possibly their own sales.

Troy with the amount of attention others and myself put into this show I would have to completely disparge your sources. I don't know who they were so I really don't have much to go on. No one has come to me with any examples of problems. I mentioned two species in a previous post that caused some initial concerns, but I saw nothing else.

I didn't just sit at the gate during the event. I was actively going thoughout the show and frequently inspecting animals/talking with vendors, etc. I also have folks secretly patrolling and inspecting animals. This worked well because no one knew who any of the folks were. It all checked out to us.

If you or your sources can provide any solid or strong evidence to any particular individuals that did have wc animals for sale (even long term captives)then they will not be invited back to the next promotion.

I'm asking you for your help with this matter. Being ruthlessly against wc animals at my shows will not hurt my business either. It will only strengthen it. Since promoting herp shows is not the mainstay of my income I can afford to be selective with vendors and strict on rules.

we did have a kid try to sneak a Texas ratsnake into the show for sale, but they and another person trying to bring in something else were ratted on and told to leave. Also I will not allow anyone come in to trade animals at the show. Any such transactions that take place between individuals in private rooms or parking lots are not part of my show and are discouraged. I know that people use shows as a common ground for meeting for such trades, but those people are not part of the event. Anyone refusing to go along with that will not be allowed into the show.

All in all, I am still confident that the rules were adhered to. I am also confident in this because I personally invited most of the vendors. Others came aboard through recommendations.

As I mentioned earlier your suggestions are welcome and any help or information you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

~

Carl

~

Carl

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ DFW Herp Society Forum ]