kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

For David L. Martin......

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Crotalidae Forum ]

Posted by Rich G. on July 27, 2002 at 00:59:16:

Sorry for the delay in responding, I don't get back to the computer as often as I would like anymore. To answer your questions, we did weigh snakes and that was recorded with the other info by the guy I was with but I didn't keep the info. I just remembered the great size of the snakes in general and the lengths of the two we measured.This was not a study site per se, it was just one that was shown to me in confidence by a fellow who used to live close to me. Kind of a strange situation. I'll not mention any names but this fellow was a herpetologist. He refused to buy meat at the store and instead harvested Gambel Quail and their eggs, rabbits and...two atrox per year. His motto was that if he could only take two, that they would be the biggest he could possibly get. He allowed me to tag along one Februrary day to his spot. I would say there were somewhere in the neighborhood of 20-25 adult snakes using the fissure for a hibernaculum. I have seen several atrox denning sites in southern Az., usually averaging 3-12 individuals, but this was the largest by far. All the adults at the site were very large by Az. standards with the smallest being in the 4 ft. range. There were some snakes beyond our reach that looked to be even bigger than the two we took and I was assured there were some bigger. I wouldn't be able to give you any kind of estimate of the size of the territory utilized by these particular snakes. One thing I have noticed about atrox in Az is that size is definately a genetic thing and not an age factor which has also been pointed out by Lowe. I know of three different locations here in Az. with atrox populations that are far exceeding the norm and they all have two things in common. One is that they are all towards the upper end of atrox elevational distribution at approx 4500-5000 ft. with very healthy cottontail populations...

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Crotalidae Forum ]