kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

It's actually pretty simple...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Crotalidae Forum ]

Posted by Kenny Wray on January 24, 2003 at 13:36:04:

In Reply to: Anyone ever been to one in GA????? posted by Brendan on January 24, 2003 at 12:45:51:

GA has some individuals that go around and do nothing but collect adamanteus almost year round (a large portion of these snakes end up at a skin shop in Waldo, FL). Many of these roundups collect snakes year round, utilizing the fact that they can stay alive (although not in good health) until the roundup date. If you figure the number of "hicks" that participate in one form or fashion with these roundups and all of their friends and families that are willing to call them every time they see a "rattlesnake" on their drive home (=boondock country, dirt roads) everyday, then it is pretty easy to realize how they can come up with such numbers. As for the western roundups and atrox, if you haven't seen one yet then I can't tell you what you are doing wrong, as they are everywhere in Texas. I can show you some massive individuals that live in the center of the Dallas/Ft. Worth Metroplex, surrounded by 5 million people! The most I have seen in one night was 27 in south Texas and there are people who could probably blow this number out of the water. Crotalus atrox does not seem to be facing the immediate crisis that C. adamanteus is. As for other species of snakes at roundups: In Texas, it is usually atrox with the occasional other rattlesnake in the mix (ex: viridis). But, I have seen lots of animals at the skin shop in Waldo, FL that had supposedly come from GA roundups and they were easily mixed with C. horridus and Sistrurus miliarius.
Hope that helps.
Later, KW

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Crotalidae Forum ]