kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Ode to Killer

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Corn Snake Forum ]

Posted by reuben on May 20, 2003 at 10:54:09:

With the breeding season in full swing and my wife and I impatiently watching our snakes' clutch, we began to remenisce of past newbies and remembered killer. Killer was a normal oketee with bright eyes and a mean bite. He was psychotic. He struck at everything, including his reflection. In addition, he refused to eat. Thanks to killer, I gained experience with every form of feeding trick, from chicken soup to braining, from scenting to force-feeding. When guests would ask the inevitable "do they bite", we could finally answer "well, this one does" and quickly take the lid off killer's cup and watch him spring at my finger. If anything cured me of the jitters when handling young snakes, it was killer. Yes, killer would strike at food items as well, but never hold on. He was hyper and wild to the very end. Eventually after nine months of refusing to eat (nor did I ever actually see him drink) killer passed on. Once a source of frustration and anxiety, the thought of killer brought us some smiles. So raising a glass I say, "here's to killer, and the hope that he remains one of a kind" :)

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Corn Snake Forum ]