kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Guttata x Obsoleta???

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Corn Snake Forum ]

Posted by Will Leary on May 10, 2003 at 15:51:51:

Is it possible that a very small population of Cornsnakes, isolated to an area with a large population of Black Rats, will interbreed with each other (places such as the mountains of western NC)? I am well aware that they are separate species, and that this type of intergrade is contrary to contemporary thought in the field of taxonomy. However, I have collected Corns in my area that have a very dark pattern, and in some cases, lots of pure black "splotches" (unlike the "normal" Mountain Corn). I have also encountered adult Black Rats with well defined patterns and lots of "red" on their sides and dorsum.

As you have probably gathered by now, I am of the persuasion that Corns and Black Rats do indeed interbreed under such circumstances, but I would like some input (or correction) from a few of you Corn experts. The next time I find a good "intergrade" type specimen, I will certainly post some pics. Until then, I hope you enjoy the Corn pictured above (collected in Swaine County, NC, NOT an intergrade). BTW, I thought I read somewhere that recent DNA studies have shown that "all" species of Rat Snake are actually indiscernible, taxonomically speaking????

Thanks in advance for the input!

Will Leary <><
Reptilicus Reptiles(.NET)

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Corn Snake Forum ]