kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

You just summed up my sentiments on this 'posting' ...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Corn Snake Forum ]

Posted by Hurley on May 05, 2003 at 07:59:41:

In Reply to: Re: Rev. Sharpton speaks out about hybrids... posted by Serpwidgets on May 05, 2003 at 06:09:57:

more eloquently than I could ever hope or dream to. Thank you. You're my hero. ;)

Hurley

:Reading that post was like listening to Al Sharpton: he doesn't actually make valid points, he just says things to get people all riled up.

:The entire precept is completely awful, and it’s insipid inception entirely human in it’s enormity.

:The concept of "species," and trying to delineate animals into discreet groups is entirely human (in its enormity.) The concept of "hybridization" (in its enormity) is also entirely (in its enormity) a human concept. The only place "hybrids" exist is in your mind.

:Our rape of the Earth’s living resources is enhanced by these frankensteinian creations.

:Congratulations, you've truly gone off the deep end. How exactly does a private breeder producing captive jungle corns or creamsicles consist of "raping Earth's living resources?" Could you explain what you mean by that, because to me it just sounds to me like a bunch of double-talk intended to incite emotions rather than make a valid point.

:We are making an unforgivable mockery of the beauty of nature’s creations through such practices.

:Say what?

:I don’t mind all of the genetic mutations of existing species, just the cross-breeding.

:There's no difference. The same "argument" you make (and I use that term loosely) can be applied not only to breeding mutations in captivity, but also to breeding only animals from the same locality, or from different localities. In the end what we are creating becomes more and more different from wild populations with every generation.

:And BTW, you made absolutely no effort to establish any kind of reasoning behind why you think it is actually "wrong" ... probably because there is no reasoning behind it. The true difference lies not in some "universal right or wrong" but is simply a matter of personal tastes and preferences.

:We (everyone who breeds them) are changing these captive animals into something that suits our tastes. If you breed them you are changing them, too.

:The difference between you and me is that I don't think someone else is "evil" just because their tastes differ from mine. That type of sentiment IS disturbing.

:BTW, there are a LOT of hybrids in the plant and animal kingdom, many of them man-made, and many of them which enhance your life, and which you take for granted.

:We breed hybrids for the same reason we breed pure animals: because we the results are something WE desire. That IS what it's all about, in any case where mankind has a hand in ANYTHING.

:I don't know about you, but I consider my snakes to be domestic animals. I see no connection between what happens in a population of snakes which live in plastic, wooden, or glass boxes, eating dead rodents, and populations of wild animals.

:There are so many immensely stupid people out there that I shudder...

:We have something in common.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Corn Snake Forum ]