kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Reintroduced Siamese Crocodile exhibits first time nesting . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Look at my new Back Yard Snake (not a Corn)

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Corn Snake Forum ]

Posted by Lyn on May 01, 2003 at 19:59:24:

Sorry this is not a Corn post, but I'm sooooo excited! I've lived in this house for 5 years and have NEVER seen a snake in my yard, and I do a lot of outside yard work and gardening and am always lifting rocks and looking under stuff for critters. My Next Door neighbor found this little cutie pie when he was cleaning up the leaves from his yard and brought him over to be sure he wasn't one of my pets. He's so adorable! It will be hard to let him go but I'm just so excited to know there is a population of snakes right here in my own neighborhood, even if it is just a little Garter. I have posts on the Garter snake and the What type of snake is this forums hoping to narrow down the exact species and learn more about my new little backyard pal. I sure hope I get to see him again as he grows up. I've offered him water and a pinkie but he isn't interested. He's only been "captive" for an hour and I'll release him as soon as I'm assured he is a native species to the Buffalo NY area and not someone's lost pet. The pile of leaves he was under has been cleaned up and my neighbors have 3 kids, so I'm going to release him in my yard which has lots more snakey hiding places, and I don't have any kids. Here are some pics... I welcome any opintions you guys might have as to his exact species, I'm sorry to say I don't have a snake guide (shame on me!!!)

Isn't he a sweetie?

Here is the top of his head

He has a solid pinkish/brown belly

He is brown with a lighter brown stripe down his back and some black speckles

Another view of his markings

Side view of his face

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Corn Snake Forum ]