kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Tinley Reflections: An open letter from Mom . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Great pics!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Corn Snake Forum ]

Posted by CherylBald on April 26, 2003 at 10:25:37:

In Reply to: Houston...we have a mating.. posted by Taceas on April 25, 2003 at 13:33:17:

:1. How many times should I let him breed with her, and should I let him rest the said 3 days time between matings?

3 times should do the trick and resting him 2 or 3 days is good to get the sperm count up again.

:2. It'll be between 3-5 weeks before she will be visibly gravid, correct? Still eating like a horse.

You may not see her swell up like some of the pics you've seen on the forum - don't panic! Some of mine have me second guessing if they're gravid or not. She'll prolly stop eating or only take smaller prey the closer she gets to laying time and 3-5 weeks is a good estimate.

:3. She will shed, and then she'll lay her eggs 10-14 days after shedding.

Maybe! That's the text book answer but it seems that all the snakes haven't read the book! I've heard of snakes laying BEFORE thier shed.

:4. Prior to her shed, I should get her a laying box. A rectangular plastic container with moist medium in it, in which to help her shed and as a future place for her to lay her eggs.

Yes! Everyone has thier own *recipe* for what type of box to use, what damp material to put in it and where to put the entrance hole. I just use a plastic shoe box, no lid, with damp moss in it - the kind marketed as All natural Green Moss from Walmart. I set up the box soon after the last breeding to give her time to get used to it.

:5. What temperature should I set my incubator at? I think I read earlier in the week 82, which would allow for a natural rise and fall of the room temp.

80-82 is good to shoot for - it gives you a few degrees leeway if it varies up or down. Lower is better - the eggs will still hatch but take longer - too high will cook them or possibly cause defects.

Good luck! Those are good looking adults you're breeding!
Cheryl

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Corn Snake Forum ]