kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

this is shed#2 since laying:)

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Corn Snake Forum ]

Posted by IcedGoddess on April 24, 2003 at 17:48:12:

In Reply to: hmmm posted by h0mersimps0n on April 24, 2003 at 16:42:01:

her post-lay shed was a week after she laid, and it was so "baggy!". Yesterdays would be #2 since the first clutch. And she's even acting clumbsy in the back half now, I had to investigate her more the more I thought of it. Also, the last few times she was with the male, she wasn't "twitchy", just sorta led him on a bit then hid. And before the first clutch, they were together several times, as well as quite a few more after she laid the first clutch. So....:) Guess we got both ur "positives" covered, I guess she'll get no more mice from me, unless a yearling refuses a fuzz. She's barely left her nest box, and she's not usually a hider. I'm so excited now:-D

:Two things I'm almost positive about:

:1.) snakes have a post-lay shed similar to the clockwork of the pre-lay shed (i.e. nearly all shed within a few weeks of laying)

:2.) Females can store male sperm. If you have a male like I do that copulates pretty much twice a week if I keep him in here and that's been going on all before the first lay I'm better there's a good chance she's fertilized from the first round.

:I was told if you feed really well, REALLY, REALLY well after the first lay that usually you'll get a second clutch. My female downed 3 mouse crawlers the day she layed (tuesday), and just downed another 8 crawlers today (about 2" long). I'm probably going to give her 5 every other day. I've also been told smaller the better during these times -1- easier on digestive system/innards -2- requires less energy to get a few little one's digested vs what it takes to digest big ones...

:that info is a collaboration between my local reptile breeder and "the corn snake bible" (corn snake manual)

:GOOD LUCK, I'm betting if you keep up the heavy feeding she'll definitely pull another clutch. My local breeder said if I feed mine well she'll lay about the same day the first clutch hatches.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Corn Snake Forum ]