kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Yes it is.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Corn Snake Forum ]

Posted by Mark Schmidtke on April 24, 2003 at 14:26:55:

In Reply to: Is this true? posted by gidyen39 on April 24, 2003 at 13:28:07:

But it doesn't necessarily have to be the refridgerator. A lot of peope will use that spot because the temps are at the proper levels. Fridges are tall (hot air rises) and run on electricity (which creates heat) and are always on (which reduces temp fluctuations) It's not necessarily the best spot, it might be too warm up there. What you want to find is a spot in your home where the temps are fairly constant and range from the mid 70's to the mid 80's. Temps can fluctuate a bit higher or lower but would not be good if they are consistently higher or lower. One of the best things you can do for yourself is to invest in a digital thermometer with a remote probe that has a Min/Max memory function. Set the probe in various spots around your home and leave it for a few days to see how much the temps vary. When you find a good spot, put your plastic box filled with moist medium and corn snake eggs in that spot and wait ~60 days. The only problem with this method is that it's not very controlled and you could lose some (or all of) your eggs during a heat wave or a cold spell. Personally for most of my eggs I use a homemade incubator because I can control the temps better and I've hatched 100's of corn snakes with it. However I've also hatched 100's of corns by putting their egg box on a high shelf in my herp room. Either way works pretty well.

Mark

:Can you really incubate on a refrigerator? How would you go about doing this? Would your container have to be dark? Since the temp would be cooler than an incubator, how much longer would it take for the eggs to hatch? Thanks...

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Corn Snake Forum ]