kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

whats the disadvantage to emory blood?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Corn Snake Forum ]

Posted by draybar on April 23, 2003 at 17:32:05:

In Reply to: whats the disadvantage to emory blood? posted by novakaine on April 23, 2003 at 13:17:11:

In my opinion the ONLY disadvantage, and I use that word lightly, with Emory/Guttatta mix is the simple fact that it isn't pure guttatta guttatta. Some people just don't want anything other then "pure" guttatta guttatta.
We have had many many discussions about hybrid or intergrade when discussing "creamsicles".
Some people say it can't be an intergrade unless they are from overlaping areas. So unless you know their true area they are hybrids.
Some say that because guttatta and emory do have areas that overlap and they are both Elaphe guttatta (Elaphe Guttatta guttatta or Elaphe Guttatta emory)that any emory/guttatta mix is an intergrade. Forced intergradation I think is the term Kathy Love used.
I personaly beleive intergrade. But that is just MHO.
Now, back to there being disadvantages with the mix. Which I don't think there is.
If you plan on breeding guttatta and emory then you just need to be sure that anyone who gets one of your snakes knows there is Emory background.
Emory blood can bring out some excellent colors in corns. Some of the most beautiful corns I have seen are "creamsicles".
I can only speak from the experience of my one Creamsicle but she is my favorite. Best eater, most active, tamest and prettiest.
I WILL own more Creamsicles.
Now all of the above is My Opinion Only so take it for what it's worth.
Jimmy

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Corn Snake Forum ]