kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

What do crocodiles have to do with it?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Corn Snake Forum ]

Posted by Serpwidgets on April 22, 2003 at 08:23:37:

In Reply to: are you kidding me? posted by novakaine on April 21, 2003 at 17:54:23:

I didn't get into breeding Ball Pythons, so I never found out the outcome of everything, but for at least a while it was seriously believed (and even appeared in the authoratative texts on BPs) that incubation temperatures (especially at the end of the period) were responsible for (non-genetic) striping in Ball Pythons.

I recall seeing different "types" of striping, one being a yellow stripe going all the way down the back, the other being the absence of yellow on the back, making for a dark stripe down the spine. I don't know if either or both of these were genetic or incubation-temp-induced.

I believe that at some point between now and then, there has been a genetic form of striping discovered in Ball Pythons, but I honestly don't pay attention to BPs since I got into corns, nor do I care.

The point is, before you decide to leap head first down someone's throat, you might want to consider that their question is a valid one. Maybe they know something you don't, which would give them a good reason to ask.

Nobody has yet proven that incubation temps cannot affect patterns in cornsnakes. Until that has been proven (which will be a LOT of work) it remains a valid question.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Corn Snake Forum ]