kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Frog . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Chameleon . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Thanks! Anyone else have this? n/p

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Corn Snake Forum ]

Posted by Peter R. on September 23, 2002 at 22:59:44:

In Reply to: You too? posted by Taceas on September 23, 2002 at 22:42:21:

:I've got them as well. I don't know what they are, nor where they came from, but I would almost pay serious money to get rid of them. They crawl all over everything: leos, corns, and me. You can't even eat dinner without being annoyed by them flying in your face or on your food.

:They've infested my cricket enclosure for my leopard geckos, I ordered 1000 crickets at the beginning of the week, and am now down to about 50 one week later (having only used around 40).

:From what I read in the latest issue of Reptiles magazine, they appear to be carrion flies. While no picture for a carrion fly was illustrated, the basic description fits with what I've got. Small fly in appearance and the refusal to be shoo-ed away from anything.

:From what I've seen in my own home, they are a prolific breeder en masse and any sort of food/waste item left out can and will be utilized. I found a pop can with a little bit of pop left in the bottom with thousands of little maggots crawling out of the can on to the counter top. Said can had only been there overnight. My cricket enclosure is going to have to be completely torn apart and sterilized. They've laid eggs on the crickets, the poo, the food, the water bites, the deceased crickets in the bottom, and the cricket egg crates are completely covered in fly pupae, just waiting to hatch. All of in a period of 3-4 days. Can we say, campfire time? ;) I'll roast them babies all up.

:I empty my trash, make sure no dirty dishes are left in the sink, and clean out every creature's cage every single day. That seems to be helping little by little. By limiting their reproductive environments they should go away. I think that is about all I can do for the moment.

:Just keep everything as clean as possible and also keep food/drink items of your own picked up and cleaned out. Bout all you can do.

:Hope that helped you some. =)

:Taceas
:

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Corn Snake Forum ]