Available Now at New York Worms!
News & Events:
Posted by eric adrignola on May 06, 2003 at 07:26:11:
In Reply to: you need to be careful... posted by icequeen on May 05, 2003 at 22:04:57:
:your cham likely has an abscess, which is a deep tissue infection. Just because the OUTWARD swelling has reduced, regardless of amount of reduction, there will still be a pocket of infection left deep within the tissue.
:Treating him with a partial course of antibiotics (by finishing up the previous prescription) could potentially lead to antibiotic resistant bacteria...then you're screwed.
:Take him to the vet, regardless of the amount of visable swelling, and/or get a FULL course of antibiotics, and let the vet clean the abscess out...otherwise, you'll probably end up with a recurrent, and aggressive infection.
Oh I know, I'm sure it's an abcess. I'm just glad the swelling is going down a bit, it IS a good sign. I'm a zology major-I know quite a bit about anatomy, and I am sure it is an abcess after looking at it further yesterday. That is why I scheduled a vet visit yesterday. I have delt wiht these things enough in the past to know that stuff --ESPECIALLY mouth problems(that is how I lost my FAVORITE veild who I raised from an egg-he got bit, and his mouth had problems)needs to be treated early, with Chameleons, it's either EARLY, or TOO LATE.
The reason people tend to wait is because they think that if it's acting ok, it must be ok. It's often hard to see the early signs, and for me, it was difficult to see some of the early signs because I was not as familiar with the species as I was others. So I took him STRAIGHT to the vet-no chances here. Aside from the fact that I really love my animals, the money it would take to raise ANOTHER baby to an adult(not even incuding the initial cost!) is greater that the vet visit! I wish more poeple would think about that when they argue about paying $100 to treat an animal that cost them $50...