kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Water Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Desert Iguana . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

What is new in the world of Orion...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Chameleon Forum ]

Posted by chimbakka on April 23, 2003 at 20:44:10:

Well, Orion seems to be healthier now. He still won't eat much, but he IS eating on his own, and for now I am happy with that. I made a cool little cricket food bucket thingy for him. It was just a small metal easter bucket I found at the grocery store. I cut a hole in the bottom and put a fake branch thing (looks kind of like a pothos) in the hole. I also glued some of the fake leaves around the sides on the insides so the crickes can get out a bit. This way, there are crix climbing around in the bucket, in reach of Orion, and some crix free-roaming in his cage. I put a bunch in this morning, and when I cleaned his cage tonight there weren't a lot to be found. I'm hoping they were eaten, not hiding.
I also got a drip system today. I am back to working during the day, so I am not at home to spray as much. I have it raied on a tub thing, and it drips onto a half of a plastic hose. The water runs down and drops off of that into a cup with some pothos vines in it. He can get to the dripping part b/c it is near a tree for him. I hope he will use it. I showed him it today, and he had a drink. I guess he will be able to figure it out... It will be SOO much easier when he is in his final cage. I won't have to worry about making the water fall in JUST the right place so it goes in the cup. That was a pain in the butt.
I feel badly for Orion. His cage has been changed around too much (from humidifier, to food, to drip system changes). The poor guy probably thinks he is on a world tour. He seems pretty adaptable though. I know he doesn't LIKE it, but he doesn't seem to be freaking out too much. Hopefully things will work how it is. I don't want him in a "new" environment untill his new cage this summer. I can't wait to have it set up and ready! I think it will do him a lot of good to just be in a comfy home that is the same from now on. Note to self *figure out cage COMPLETELY before getting cham*. I had NO idea how much work it would be!
I think he grew a bit. He seems a little fuller, and maybe a bit longer.
I guess that is about it. Any info or suggestions on how to get him to eat a bit more would be GREATLY appreciated. I have the lighting so it is a bit brighter for him. That seemed to help a bit. I saw some stuff in the pet store that "stimulates the appetite" and "balances electrolytes" for $10. I can't remember the name of it. Has anyone tried anything like this? If so, did it work? I may give it a try. Thanks for the help, as always!
~Lindsay

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Chameleon Forum ]