kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Water Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Desert Iguana . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

To build or buy that is the question?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Chameleon Forum ]

Posted by charm_paradise on April 21, 2003 at 22:46:58:

In Reply to: To build or buy that is the question? posted by Chameleon996 on April 21, 2003 at 22:15:26:

Hi- well I bought all my cages. I got some from a pet shop on the net, and others from ebay. You will find ebay to be the best price, and there is a good selection of sizes. They are made out of aluminum window frames and black aluminum screen, the screen they use makes it much eiser to see your animals, and they are all screen cages. The other option is the reptariums, I have never bought one, the screen is hard to see though, crickets will chew through the screen, among other problems. Home made cages are good if you have the time and tools to build them, and you can customize the design. I got my 2'Lx2'Wx4'H cages for $100 shipped! Hope this helps!

John

:I would like opinions on this please. I just got done painting and sealing two cages for my chams. The one that I built is 3ft.x1.5ft.x1.5ft. wood framing, screen sides and a solid bottom with the door on the top half of the front. The other one my dad built for me it's 3ft.x3ft.2ft. pebble board on the back and bottom, a built in drip catcher, screen sides, screen top, screen front and a door on the front that has two 12in.x12in. panes of glass. I know "GLASS" but I am going to remove it.

:Anyway the smaller one cost me about $60.00 to build and the other one cost over $100.00 to build. Painting them was one big pain in the butt, I will be posting pics soon. The question however is would you rather build or buy? And if the answer is buy, Where do you get good screen cages that are reliable? I like the look of these ones made out of wood and I can customize them to what I need.

:Sorry for the long post but thanks for any replies.
:Dawn
:

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Chameleon Forum ]