kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: After reading below, why would I want to join CFHS?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The CFHS Forum ]

Posted by bpc on November 19, 2002 at 06:56:36:

In Reply to: Re: After reading below, why would I want to join CFHS? posted by Thamnophile on November 19, 2002 at 01:51:47:

Hey guys, you both make some good points. As far as, why to join, the reason is simple, in order to help make a change. This will be sorted out, one way or another after the January meeting we will know what direction this club is going. Come to the December meeting talk to the candidates, talk to the members, and then vote for whomever you think will do a better job.

The funds of the club will be in Jeff's hands come January. And after spending the last year banging my head against the wall with Jeff over the club funds, I'm pretty sure he will do his best to straighten out the accounting next year. I almost didn't run again just simply out of frustration, but I didn't want to leave the club in a bind. Hopefully we can work towards some change in the next few months, and return our focus to what this club should be about: herping.
Brian Conley
:Sounds like they need to start using Robert's Rules of Order or something. But then again I think the herp society I was a member of finally collapsed due to lack of participation, funding, motivation, etc. and we tried to use Robert's Rules.... I can't even say for sure if the club is defunct or not - because as near as I can tell, no one is communicating at all. (I myself quit out of frustration, lol).

:So be thankful if you have a lot of money in your herp society - and a huge membership that is willing to participate. You can get through all of this stuff, with those two things behind you! Good luck with your reorganization, CFHS!

:Lisa

::After reading what was posted below about what sounds like disorganization and gross mismanagement of funds, I wonder why I would be compelled to join CFHS. I am not being sarcastic here, I just feel it is very important for officers (elected I assume) to look out for the membership. What I read below is the stuff lawsuits are made of. If you are told "your membership fee pays for a newsletter and access to meetings," that is one thing, but it sounds like there are some pretty large sums of money being dealt with here. I feel it right to further add that a nonprofit organization, especially when it attains any size, needs to be run like a business, otherwise you get exactly what is described below. For instance, the United Way (this could be a bad example, I don't know) is a non-profit organization, but it is run as a business. I've thought about joining CFHS, now I don't know. Maybe someone could sway me in one direction or another? It's sad that so much boils down to money and gets away from the initial ideal.

:
:

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The CFHS Forum ]