kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Animal...Mistreatment?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The CFHS Forum ]

Posted by gila7150 on October 09, 2002 at 08:32:28:

In Reply to: Animal...Mistreatment? posted by audri on October 05, 2002 at 23:46:35:

:I was recently told by a neighbor that a science teacher at Edgewater High School? is keeping a grown bearded dragon in a 10 or 15 gallon tank, and also has a boa, ball python, corn snake, and garter snake all kept in the same cage. My neighbor's son (a student in the class) also told me that the teacher was offering extra credit to presumably catch and bring in a hognose or kingsnake (student was unsure as to which). I don't know whether the intention would be to keep the snake, or just a show-and-tell sort of thing.

:Anyway, I am a bit upset by this. The neighbor is also upset, but is afraid to say anything for fear that her son may be punished in some way.

:I feel that something should be done, but I'm not sure as to what.

I would go in and talk with the teacher in a non-confrontational way about the set-up of his animals. Let him know that you appreciate that he is exposing his students to herps in the classroom. He may just be ignorant when it comes to proper husbandry and may be willing to make the proper changes if someone brings it to his attention in a pleasant way.
Who knows? If he corrects his husbandry issues, I'm sure there are reptile breeders in the CFHS who would be happy to give a presentation for his class and show off their animals to future herp enthusiasts.
Good luck,
Chris

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The CFHS Forum ]