kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Diamond x JCP hybrid thoughts. jkuroski, please read

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Carpet and Diamond Python Forum ]

Posted by garyj on May 09, 2003 at 14:23:17:

In Reply to: Diamond x JCP hybrid thoughts. jkuroski, please read posted by JohnB on May 09, 2003 at 12:37:13:

I keep a diamond and will be purchasing more when I can so I am hopefull for the future of diamonds in the USA. Unfortunately IMHO there is a real genetic flaw with the bloodlines that are available in the USA (like with albino boas but a little more extreme)now and unless we import some new blood it looks pretty bad. There are many that say that it is a husbandry misunderstanding and not genetic. Many in Australia use the same husbandry techniques and are even much more relaxed with feeding and cooling and have no problems. I think it was a husbandry misunderstanding years back. Now the reason seems to be weak genetic populations and not husbandry mistakes. It seems that people who are using the husbandry methods prescribed in Mr. Chiras' article are still having the same sudden deaths that people were having with burmese python husbandry methods. I hope that I am wrong but pure diamonds may not have much future in the USA with the bloodlines we have now. Are there any unrelated bloodlines in Europe that people in the USA are not working with?
:Hi, all.

:Jim Kuroski said something a few days ago that's had me thinking about the hybrid issue from a different perspective. He said, and this is not a direct quote, that given all the trouble we've been having producing diamond pythons, high percentage diamond and jungle crosses may be a good thing.

:As a bredli keeper, the issue of hybrids always put me on the defensive; mostly because bredli are, apparently, rather easy to produce. This doesn't appear to be the case with diamonds.

:If breeding diamonds to existing hybrids is easier than breeding diamond to diamond and we can produce animals that both look fantastic and (most importantly) are accurately represented, I may have to rethink my position on the hybrid issue. It would be a shame to lose US diamond genetics to underproduction.

:Of course, this raises a number of interesting questions: is the US diamond stock underproduced and in danger of dying out? Do you think it's possible to guarantee accurate representation of high-percentage diamond hybrids? Will we encounter the same problems breeding high-perecnetage (75%+) diamond hybrids as we do with normal diamonds?

:What do you all think?

:-John

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Carpet and Diamond Python Forum ]