kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Welcome to typical baby Pythons. =) more

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Carpet and Diamond Python Forum ]

Posted by AnthonyCaponetto on May 01, 2003 at 12:18:26:

In Reply to: Baby Carpet Problem *coastals* posted by johnv on April 30, 2003 at 04:06:08:

First off, the baby will probably calm down with age and moderate handling. Handling more is not always better. You still need to avoid overhandling, so that you don't stress the baby out. It's very unlikely that the smell of another snake is making it uncomfortable...snakes aren't like dogs. =)

Secondly, most baby Pythons are nippy, bloods included. People that start with Ball Pythons (myself included) as a first Python, usually think that all other baby Pythons are unusually aggressive and that Ball Pythons are the norm. It's really not like that. Your baby blood must have already been worked with, because I've found baby bloods to be just as, if not more, pissy than baby carpet pythons. Ball Pythons are very unique in that biting is hardly ever their first line of defense...which is why they're so popular. Instead, they will ball up or just act shy, but that does in no way mean that they are any more comfortable with being handled than your baby Carpet is...they just don't show it the same way.

: I bought a yearling Carpet who was sort of agressive. Within two days he tamed down dramatically; I could pick her up with confidence. About a week after owning her, we bought a female Carpet adult. The adult was a change of pace; much more relaxed and not skiddish at all. Well the baby went through a shed while this adult was brought home, so I really wasnt holding her much. She finally shed yesterday, and I began to pick her up again. Something happened though. She seemed a little edgy, and really wirey. For the first time she actually bit me. The adult females cage is right next to the yearlings.
: Do you think her scent is offending the baby python? Does she just need time to get used to this? I have Ball pythons and when I brought a new one home they never acted different. They say baby Bloods are nurvous and edgy, but I think baby Carpets take the cake on that...my baby Blood is just as tame as any docile Ball i've ever encountered. Any ideas why my yearling is getting bitchy all of a sudden? Thanks to anyone in advance.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Carpet and Diamond Python Forum ]