kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Here's my take...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Carpet and Diamond Python Forum ]

Posted by garyj on April 22, 2003 at 20:38:16:

In Reply to: Here's my take... posted by jkuroski on April 22, 2003 at 18:05:45:

"I haven't "studied" them at all. But I do follow genetics and your beliefs don't fit any known gene variation know to date. The fact that the clutches are 50 normal and 50 jaguars leads me to believe that it is a co-dom trait that appears in several forms in homo animals. Making the siblings no more valuable than a normal tiger retic sibling."

I think "Jaguars" are actually several genetic mutations, one co-dom mutation is too simple for what is going on here IMHO. If you have seen pics of the hypo jag siblings there is definately nothing normal about them(at least compared to the coastal bloodlines we have here in the US). If you take hypo boas for example the hypomelanism is expressed in a co-dom fashion, the homo version of the trait is really just a more extreme version of the hetero. Also the hypo boas we have today did not randomly just appear, they came from a wild hypo Panama boa. I think the jaguar "traits" could be more described as multiple genes at work to give the different variations of the look kinda like "pastel dream boas" (not as subtle, more in your face) and less like a singles simple recessive or co-dom trait. I am totally messed up by Jags and am saving my pennies to get some Hypo Jags one day. Oh yah I am definately not an insider on this project just an interested observer who thinks the Hypo Jags are the most beautiful snake under the sun right now. If I remember correctly, the first Jag to Jag breeding is taking place this season. That will either shed some light on how these traits are working or confuse everyone even more. I think it will be more of the latter unfortunately.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Carpet and Diamond Python Forum ]