kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Great lighting for Bearded Dragons - ? for the Pro's

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Caging Forum ]

Posted by Piscivora on May 11, 2003 at 20:49:32:

In Reply to: Great lighting for Bearded Dragons - ? for the Pro's posted by Piscivora on May 09, 2003 at 14:42:13:

:I was looking into all the lights on the internet for reptiles and found that UVB is sought for Vitamin D synthesis. I found lots of flourescent tubes and a few frosted mercury vapor floodlights. Flourescents dont have much intensity to fill a large cage. The MV's claim to radiate 7 feet however they can make people look like cadavers. I also searched for sun lights and found info on HID lighting also being able to penetrate farther than flourescents.
:There are two types of HID: Metal Halide and High Pressure Sodium. Metal Halide produces more blue light (beneficial UV?) from what I found, it better resembles sunlight. My question is this - I found a small (100W) fixture called sun system or something similar and was wondering if this would be beneficial to bearded dragons if I can't give them the required mininmum 30min - 2 hrs dayly sun that is reccommeded. I asked the salesman at the store that sold the light and he said that it is good for vegetative growth. If the lizards benefit from this light I might buy it and set up a mini garden of collard, kale and other leafies that they can eat at will (using organics of course) because the guy said the light was designed with a spectrum for plants. He also looked up the wavelengths and told me it was from 300nm up. I would post a link to the light I had in mind but I'm not sure if the rules allow that ?? The salesman also said that Aquariums use Metal halide lights for their setups. I imagine this would be beneficial for many types of biota in a marine setup both plant and animal. I feel really bad now since I just have a measly incandecet reflector light using 40Watt GE reveal bulbs.
Anyone out there that works in a zoo might know what type of lighting zoo's use.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Caging Forum ]