kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

heating

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Caging Forum ]

Posted by chris_harper2 on May 04, 2003 at 12:02:52:

In Reply to: air exchange posted by chris_harper2 on May 04, 2003 at 11:54:44:

You'll almost certainly have to heat the room slightly in addition to heating individual cages (for thermal gradiant).

The safest way to do this is with one of those oil-filled space heaters that looks like an old radiator.

I heat my room with one of these but have it controlled by an auxillary thermostat. Make sure you get a thermostat that can handle the MAX wattage of your space heater.

I'm able to tuck mine into an area where there are a lot of supplies so it's both out of my way and is not too near any individual animal cage.

To avoid a drastic vertical heat gradient in my room I have a fan hooked up to the thermostat as well.

What I do is plug a multi-outlet strip into the thermostat and then plug both my fan and space heater into the strip. So when the thermostat turns on, both the heater and the fan run.

This keeps the air moving when the heater is running and also gives me an idea of how often my heater is having to run.

This increases safety for two reasons. First it prevents the area where the space heater is located from getting too hot and it also keeps the fan from running constantly.

If this type of space heater is out of the question, baseboard heaters are the next best thing but they are not nearly as safe. Definitely use a thermostat to control them as well.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Caging Forum ]