kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
click here for Rodent Pro  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

FlexWatt MUST be on a thermostat or rheostat...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Caging Forum ]

Posted by oldherper on May 04, 2003 at 07:21:35:

In Reply to: will this keep the cage at about 85-90 degrees??? posted by rejekt on May 03, 2003 at 15:47:25:

NEVER install FlexWatt without some sort of temperature regulating device. You will creat a fire hazard, plus the FlexWatt will run too hot for your application. You need to use either a proportional thermostat or a rheostat. I've found that rheostats, while they will work, are a royal pain to regulate. You also need to carefully plan how you locate the FlexWatt so that you provide thermal gradients in the cages.

Even using a ceramic heat emitter you need to use some sort of thermostat to keep from overheating.

:im building a 4 cage teresrial condo for my leos and afts.if i put 1 strip of 11 inch flexwatt and 1 3inch strip of flexwatt,both 4 feet long down the back wall of the unit and it just goes straight down.will that keep the afts and leos cage around 85-90 degrees.also does anyone no a good way to wire those ceramic light fixtures on.cuz if the flexwatt doesnt work i have ceramic fixtures.the cage is 4x2x2 with each cage bieng 1x2x2.i only want 1 outlet for the lights but i no the flexwatt will use 2.thanx for any help

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Caging Forum ]