kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

building?....

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Caging Forum ]

Posted by chris_harper2 on April 24, 2003 at 15:30:57:

In Reply to: buliding?.... posted by gyke on April 24, 2003 at 15:01:41:

:How did you build them and what did you use?

They were built into 3'x3' exhibits at a zoo. The ponds were built is a semi-circle fashion up to the glass front of the exhibit.

The exhibits were plywood carcasses sealed with epoxy. I first drilled through the plywood and installed PVC plumbing.

Next I took a piece of stainless lath (for plaster) and cut a piece that I wrapped in the semi-circle fashion up against the front glass. The lath was stapled to wooden frame that supported the glass front.

Next I mixed up portland, sand, glue, and concrete dye and coated the lath to make fake-rock pool. I also filled (with concrete) the bottom of the pool up to the height of the plumbing.

The junction between the wood/glass front and the concrete pool was sealed with polyurethane caulk.

The pool was sealed with a concrete sealer.

The exhibits came out VERY nice and held water for years.

All of the above could be easily done with plaster, paint, and epoxy.

There are also options with PVC if you want something similar but more low-tech, easier to clean, etc.

Let me know the following and I'll see if I can help:

1) What species is this for?
2) How big of a pool do you want (approximate diameter and depth)
3) What are you building the pool into (aquarium, wooden cage, etc.?

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Caging Forum ]