kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Chondropython habitat

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Caging Forum ]

Posted by oldherper on April 23, 2003 at 12:13:03:

This is a Chondropython habitat that I have just finished. It is constructed of 5/8" oak furniture grade plywood and oak trim pieces, with a plexiglass viewing window. Heat is from above using ceramic heat bulbs, and controlled in upper and lower zones with Alife probe thermostats, and using timers for auto night drop. It has a recirculating waterfall fixture in the rear corner (not visible in photo) that serves as a watering bowl. It has an automatic "rain system" that I made using a programmable automatic lawn sprinkler controller and sprinkler valve. The sprinkler head is 1/2" schedule 40 PVC with 1/32" holes drilled along the bottom side. It is hooked up to my water system in my house using a kit for refrigerator ice makers. The water drains from the bottom of the cage into a 5 gallon bucket located in the bottom cabinet through a sink drain. Lighting is a 24" 2-tube flourescent fixture with Gro-lite bulbs (for the plants). It is set on an electronic programmable timer for photoperiod. All joints inside the enclosure are first sealed with silicone sealer, then the entire interior of the cage is coated with 3 coats of fiberglass resin for waterproofing.

The one problem that I have is that the Chondros like to hang around on the sprinkler pipe at the top of the cage instead of the limbs provided. Oh, well...I guess I'll just have to fence it off with some hardware cloth next time they get down to stroll around the cage.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Caging Forum ]