kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

tough one...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Caging Forum ]

Posted by chris_harper2 on April 23, 2003 at 11:09:02:

In Reply to: savannah monitor cage posted by naryan93602 on April 23, 2003 at 10:20:03:

The easy part is to go with plywood. It will be lighter and you can put whatever finish you want on it. A Savanah monitor will scratch melamine quite nicely.

For a finish you could use contact cement to attach FRP board (which stands for fiberglass reinforced panel) or you could go with a fiberglass finish you do yourself. That latter will be a lot more difficult but I know it's popular among monitor enthusiasts.

As far as dimensions, this is a tough question given you want to house two adults.

Since you want to be able to move it I would limit the length of the cage to just under the height of a doorway. You should also leave room for casters or a dolly so 6' is probably your limit on length (most doors are about 6'8" tall).

You could "probably" get away with a depth (aka width) of 4' and a height of 2'.

However, I can tell you that this cage turned upright would not make it around the corner into my herp room. I could get it into my front door and on display in my living room, but that's it.

If the cage was 20" tall I could probably get it around the corner. You'll have to figure this part out for yourself.

One thing I do is get a piece of cardboard and cut out the dimension that I know I'll need to be moving around from one area to another. Then I put it on the floor and slide it around to see if it goes around corners, fits, through doors etc.

In your case, you should start with a piece about 2' x 4'. Understand that if the fit is very tight you'll have trouble when you're dealing with a heavy cage sticking 6' up in the air.

So you'll want the piece of cardboard to pass comfortably through the areas you'll need to move your cage.

Now if you move into a new place...

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Caging Forum ]