kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: some more info

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Caging Forum ]

Posted by chris_harper2 on April 17, 2003 at 07:57:44:

In Reply to: some more info posted by Dave A. on April 16, 2003 at 22:01:44:

:The pricing is as follows.

:4'x8' piece of 5/8' plywood runs about $18

:4'x8' piece of 3/4 birch runs about $29

:4'x8' piece of 3/4 oak runs about $38

Okay, I was not sure if you were comparing plywood prices to solid/edge-glued pine or pine laminated plywood (likely A/C plywood). The pricing you mention is slightly different than what I see locally.

:both the birch and oak dont look like plywood, if you look at the sides of the wood you see wood grain, not the typical layering of plywood.

Bizzare. The only thing I can think is that the edges already have edge banding adhered on but that does not make any sense. If so, you should be able to tell by looking at the corners where the edge banding typically takes a lot of abuse and is harder to match up.

:Im not great with wood quality and what not, but maybe the prices will help with determining what they are. The quality of the wood seems pretty good considering the price of it.

From what you've listed, I'd go with the birch laminate provided it's decent quality. With birch at that price you many get a few tiny knots scattered thoughout the sheet but that's not a big deal. What is a big deal is if the plys are starting to come apart. I once purchased a sheet of birch laminated plywood from Home Depot on sale for $28.88 and when I started to work with it the plys started to pull apart. A lot of work squeezing glue down in between the plys and clamping it back together.

This may be difficult to tell if there is indeed edge banding already attached to the edges of the sheet. Perhaps have them do some of the cuts for you and take a look at the plys on the cut edge.

I like the birch for it's smooth finish and because the grainy texture does not stand up when coated with oil-based polyurethanes etc. However, if using a lighter stain the smooth finish of birch does not take the stain as evenly as I like so with my lack of finishing skills I feel forced to choose a darker stain.

Also, if you want to use real-wood face frames the birch-stock often does not match the laminates of birch-plywood. This also holds true for the edge banding. Once again, a darker stain overcomes these differences.

:Id just like to say thanks for all your help so far. ITs been truly helpful.

No problem. Please let us know if you have any further questions.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Caging Forum ]