kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Breeding Questions

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Caging Forum ]

Posted by chris_harper2 on April 15, 2003 at 23:22:41:

In Reply to: Breeding Questions posted by Krystal19_85 on April 15, 2003 at 22:38:45:

::What are your thoughts on putting the female in with the male (or vice-versa)

I'm old school so I've always introduced sheds from the females and then introduced the females depending on the male's response. However, I've never bred Ball Pythons much less even tried.

::vs. breeding tubs?

Do you mean where you introduce a group of animals into a large enclosure that is not the normal cage for any one of them?

This is probably species specific and is likey required for some species (some chelonians, for example). This used to be common practice for Boa constrictor breeders.

How this relates to ball pythons I do not know.

::Also what is your opinion on Letting the female incubate the eggs vs. an incubator?

If I bred Ball Pythons I'd probably try both ways out of pure curiosity.

Lastly, I saw a post of yours below about a ball python cage. If you're deciding between a length of 3.5' vs. 4' I'd go with 4'. Plywood almost always comes in 4' increments so you could build the 4' cage for the same money and probably even save a few cuts. Only reason I could see for 3.5' is if you needed the cage to fit in a specific area.

There's a lot of valuable posters and information on this forum so ask any question you want about your cage plans - someone will likely have an answer.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Caging Forum ]