kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Just doesn't seem right... For Rob. More...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Burmese Python Forum ]

Posted by Rob Carmichael on May 05, 2003 at 11:20:40:

In Reply to: Just doesn't seem right... For Rob. More... posted by diseasedstran on May 04, 2003 at 02:24:46:

Believe me, I am not disputing anything here because you are right, that is a very common question we get asked. But, while not trying to sugar coat anything, young children sometimes dont' fully understand the predator-prey relationships and for them to see a pic of a very cute rabbit (lets say in one of my presentations) and then tell them that this is the kind of animal that we feed our snakes will only do more harm than good. If I just tell them that this snake eats rats, rabbits and chicken, they understand what I am saying without the negative impact. Now, for a high school or college level lecture I am giving, that is a whole different matter.

Rob. Being an educator. Do you not talk about prey items ? I'v not been to one reptile show with one of my snakes. Or a school with children from 6 to 17 years of age. And not get asked "What do you feed it" Or "Just how big of a prey item can that thing eat". People are always interested in how they kill there prey. Or how it eats it. Out of all the questions i get asked. Eather at a school. Or in my front yard by passers by for that matter. The Top One has to be something about Food , Second would be how big is it going to get , or how big is it. I think that picture is a good visual aid of the natural prey that some snakes can eat. It's amazing sometimes how big of a rabbit even a large snake can swallow. Of course i'm not saying your wrong about anything. I know some people whould think that's mean or inhumane. But in my oppinion i think that picture would make a good educational aid. But that's me.
:Mason

::I don't know why, but something just strikes a negative cord in me when people show off live prey that is going to be fed to their burms - particularly prey that is considered to be loved pets by many people (yes, I know its hypocritical since I have a freezer full of frozen rabbits, however, I don't show them to anyone except my staff who help me at the wildlife center)....I'm sure your intentions are good so it isn't meant to be critical, however, as an educator who is always fighting the good fight for the cause of all serpents, this sort of thing will only do more harm than good with the people that we are trying to educate...once again, perhaps I'm just too nit picky but seeing the pic of the cute rabbit just evoked a bad feeling (and btw...if that is a viper, couldn't tell due to the dullish pic, that is NOT a good stand to keep that cage on). Cheers.

:::Here is a pic of the rabbit before and after..

::
::

:
:

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Burmese Python Forum ]