kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Very active burm

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Burmese Python Forum ]

Posted by Bezzerra on April 28, 2003 at 08:29:24:

In Reply to: Very active burm posted by BrianSmith on April 25, 2003 at 18:20:40:

Thanks for responding!

No, she is not an albino, she is a green phase. She is 6 feet long but I don't think she is wide enough to take a rabbit yet. The rat was almost too big for her but she managed to get it down and keep it there.

We don't use any lights in her cage other than two infrared lights. There is a window in her room that lets light in during the day.

A girl at the pet shop said I could try feeding her 2 small or 2 medium rats instead of one big one. I'll try that and let you know if this makes a difference.
-----------------
:There really is no such thing as a stringent "feeding schedule" that one must adhere to with great accuracy. Give her what she wants. If she gets a good sized meal it should make her quite lethargic while she digests. And while an active burmese is a good thing, I can see where one can be too active and this sounds like such a case. I have over 30 burmese pythons and not one of them is ever overly active. Even the males that are on more of a maintainence diet are quite calm and laid back. As all of mine are albino morphs of one form or another (with the two exceptions of the granites and the rock hybrids) I do not have lights built into their cages. I have conducted my own form of studies on their eye sensetivity due to albinism and it does in fact seem that their eyes are much more sesetive to light than other "regular" pythons. If I remember correctly your burm is also an albino. Do you have bright lights in her cage? They could be making her eyes uncomfortable. Other than this I would suggest to give her larger meals. I forget how long she is, but if she is 6 to 8 feet she can easily be on 3 to 5 pound rabbits. It'll save you money too ;)

:
::Hey yall. I know I haven't been much help to anybody on the forum as far as giving advice, in fact I seem to have an endless amount of questions about my burm so I hope you all don't get too agitated with me.

::Do any of your burms get really active in the spring? Jade, my 2-year-old burm, has become very active in her cage lately. When I go into her room in the mornings to do my hair (I live in a small apartment and must share my "hair and make-up" room with the snakes), she always comes out of her hide and starts crawling up the glass on the door like she wants to get out. In the late afternoons, she totally destroys her cage, pulling down all the vines and knocking her themometers down, etc... It's like she is trying to find a way out of her cage. Once we take her out, she "slithers" all over the livingroom curiously checking everything out. (We keep an eye on her the entire time). If my husband picks her up and holds her, she constantly moves around his body.

::We have a good range of temps in her cage. 90-92 on the warm side and 85-88 on the cool side during the day. The temps drop a small bit at night.

::My husband fed her a large rat yesterday. (We fed her the same thing just five days ago) but she doesn't lie still like my boa does in her cage after she eats. Am I not feeding her enough? The zoo vet said she was on a "one large rat every two weeks" feeding schedule. We are feeding her way more often than that. Could the change in feeding schedule affect her?

::Their are no mites that we can see and the substrate is kept dry and clean. Is her high activity normal?

:
:

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Burmese Python Forum ]