kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Chickens

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Burmese Python Forum ]

Posted by tango on April 23, 2003 at 15:59:07:

In Reply to: Just wondering, why are chickens...... posted by Bezzerra on April 23, 2003 at 11:29:59:

Chickens are a good addition to a regular diet of rabbits or pigs/goats, etc. My crew gets adult chickens raised here as an additional nutrional prey. I don't know why people say they are not a good food source. Snakes don't digest the feathers, which are excreted in a bundle. There is no stomach upset once the snake is used to the prey. I've read a lot of misinformation about feeding chickens. The only danger I have read of is when snakes are removed to be fed. Chicken beaks can rupture intestines. To shop for chickens you have to seek hens or the Cornish/Rock cross which matures early. Roosters have those spurs that add to the danger of intestinal rupture. With chickens, snakes also get a little different balance of protein and fats, etc. When one is feeding exclusively thawed, it is a good idea to vary the diet just a little. Supermarket chickens, ie. featherless processed chickens aren't even good for human consumption. Find a source that will sell you whole, unprocessed, free-range chickens.
:not a good food source for burmes? My husband was thinking of making this her diet when she gets bigger. Is this not a good idea?

:------------------------

::Ok I always I problems deciding how big of a rat to feed my snake. I know they can eat large items but I don’t want to feed something too big. My burm is about 4 foot long and about 7-8 months old he is feed a small rat every 5-7 days. The rats are about 4-5 inches long (just body) and I wanted to know if I should bump him up to the medium rats. Also I know chickens aren’t the best thing to feed but what about ducks or turkeys both are fairly cheap where I live. But price isn’t a concern I would just like to provide a variety of foods and I can’t seem to find small enough rabbits yet.

::thanks for the help
::andrew

:
:

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Burmese Python Forum ]