kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Hmmm....

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Burmese Python Forum ]

Posted by diseasedstran on April 23, 2003 at 12:02:08:

In Reply to: Hmmm.... posted by JDP on April 23, 2003 at 10:30:26:

I dont know about dumping out the water bowl into the cage. What i do when i see she's going to shed , i just stick her in the bath tub every day for an hour or so , everytime i put her back in her cage wet , the humidity will go up . and it'll stay about 80% himidity till the next day. I also have a hot mist humidifyer that runs constantly , so that helps too . on avrage my burms cages stay 70% humidity without any other kind of water. You would figure if they were dry they'd just go into there water bowl , but must of the time they dont. Maybe they cant find it ? who knows.

:Im not real sure you would want your snake to be sitting in stagnant water? I mean my anaconda LIVES in her water but burms arent like that. Anybody got any thoughts on letting standing water in the cage?

::Im too poor to afford towels (not really), but this is what I do :)

::Around shed time, I just dump most of the water bowl. Throughouly soaking the inside of the cage. The combination of the heaters and light will make the water quickly start rising. This tends to make the entire cage between 90-100% humidity. Within a day or two the cage is pretty much dry again and I do it all over until the shed is over with.

::Just make sure that if the water doesn't evaporate within in two/three days that you CLEAN IT UP, as it can start to stink, mold, and cause problems.

::-Randilyn

:::What I do for my 11' female is I take a bath towel and fold it up (like its hanging on the rack in the bathroom) and I wet the top two layers thoroughly. Not soaked just nicely damp. Put it in the cage and most times the snake will lay on it. Remoisten with a spray bottle daily and your burm (or any snake) will shed nicely. For small species I use washcloths or even smaller (BPs), folded up toilet paper in their hide box. Works great.

::
::

:
:

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Burmese Python Forum ]