kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

my .02

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Burmese Python Forum ]

Posted by Kestrel on April 18, 2003 at 00:31:34:

In Reply to: JUST GOT BIT !!!! NOW WHAT ?? posted by joemichaelaz on April 16, 2003 at 17:03:47:

I'm not going to repeat what alot of other people have already said, but I will agree with (mostof)them 100%.. You definatly seem WAY too suprised by this, and strike me as the sort of person who only owns this one large snake and hasn't done very much research or looking into what owning this large snake involves.. Or at least not enough.. But hopefully this bite has given you a bit of a lesson. From now on, i'd definatly keep some alcohol on hand, ontop or near the snakes cage, as suggested by the others.. And you say you had this snake around your neck. Thats also generally a very bad idea with a large constrictor of any species.. The best way to carry a large snake is draped over your shoulder, with the head in control, and either someone behind you with the body, or let the snake grasp your waist, under your opposite arm. If the snake had decided to latch onto you arm, get a coil around your neck, and pin your other arm to your body, you'd be dead right now. This is also why having a few people home, with you, while you're handling your animal comes in handy. ;) Rob's suggestion of a sheild is also a VERY good idea. I use a sheet of plywood, or plexiglass myself, and its saved me from many a-bites. So hopefully this has just been a learning experiance for you. Another pointer, NEVER panic when bitten, and especially if it's starting to wrap. And never pull away. Both of these will just make the injury worse. Or even if the snake has wrapped a non-dangerous part of your body, like a hand or an arm, just let the snake be for a few seconds, and they'll usually let go on their own once they figure out that you're not their usual food source. If it doesn't, continues to wrap a potentially dangerous area of the body, or worse starts to swollow, this is when the alcohol comes in handy. But generally they let go on their own, minimal damage done.

And as the others have suggested, please go wash and rinse your snake.. Lysol definatly isn't good for it. ;)

:Damm it hurts.. i'm typing with my left hand shaking like never before.. my 11 foot burm just bit my right forearm for the first time in 7 years.. she just ate 5 !! days ago.. a large rabbit as usuall... i was unable to move and lucky my 4 year old was in the house to help me.. he ran and got a can of lysol and sprayed the snake in the face untill she let go of my forearm.. what now..will the snake be O.k. ?? do i keep her or what ?? will she do this again ?? befoe takeing her out I spray my arm with thie lysol so I dont have any smells on me .. what do I do ??
:dam it hurts so much...

:Joe

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Burmese Python Forum ]