kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Feeding Questions

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Bull, Pine, and Gopher Snake Forum ]

Posted by Jud on May 05, 2003 at 19:46:38:

I would like some input as to the quantity and frequency of feeding my pits. I have an 8 year old female albino northern pine. She is a little over 6 feet in length. She has never mated before, but she has laid a clutch of slugs. She was egg bound and had surgery to remove the eggs. This was a couple of years ago. I almost lost her and as a result I don't plan on ever breeding her. In the past, I would feed her about 4 small rats every 10 days. She seemed to be doing fine, but I though I would get some input from the forum to see if this is too much or not enough. She has good body mass and appears to be healthy. I'm just suprised she is not bigger than she is. Also, I have a male bull snake that is about 5 feet long. He is captive born and is a eating machine. Last year (when he was considerably smaller) I fed him 2 small rats every 10 days. I want to feed him a good diet so he can attain the average length and hope to breed him some day. I know there are pros & cons to feeding numerous small rodents or 1 large item. He can eat medium rats. If I were to order medium rats, how many should he be fed and how often? If I were to order smalls rats, how many should he be fed and how often? I have a yearlilng northern pine. How many mice should I feed him & how often?

I know these are a lot of questions, and I've had pits for years. I'm about to order a supply of rodents and I was thinking about how some other pit keepers do things. I'm having a hard time deciding on whether to buy a lot of small rats or a fewer number of medium rats. If I go with small rats or mediums, how much would be a good diet. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Jud

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Bull, Pine, and Gopher Snake Forum ]