kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Bull, Pine, and Gopher Snake Forum ]

Posted by CudaMako on April 16, 2003 at 21:03:24:

In Reply to: Re: Soon to be Pit owner needs some advice..... posted by markg on April 16, 2003 at 13:41:28:

Thanks for the advice...

I'll take it.. I suppose it should also be said that I should also stick with something I am familiar with when dealing with a "new" pair of snakes coming into the collection. Later on down the line I may try the sand out... But not till later. The weight thing is a great point that I hadn't thought about, would have been fine for the bottom cage. But the ones above it would have probably bowed under the weight. (I use Precision cages.... very good cages IMO, but when you think about it, a four foot cage with all that sand may be too much for it coupled with the heat) So long story short is I'm sticking with the aspen... You had mentioned that you did not use the aspen yourself... What do you use? And thanks again for the help.

Scott

P.S. I have been checking this forum out for about 4 months now..... You guys have me so psyched for my little red babies!!! I feel like a kid waiting for Krimmas!!!

:It isn't so much that the sand will hurt the snakes, but the weight of it and the odor that will develop quickly are reasons enough to use aspen, which is the best performing substrate for colubrids IMO. Also, calci sand sticks to everything moist and will be in the water bowls and will always find a way to spill out onto your floor (which is a nuisance if carpeted.) I agree, sand does look the best. It also conducts heat beautifully. But it is a pain to use and keep clean in my opinion.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Bull, Pine, and Gopher Snake Forum ]