kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: My first bullsnake story....

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Bull, Pine, and Gopher Snake Forum ]

Posted by BILLY on April 05, 2003 at 12:41:05:

In Reply to: My first bullsnake story.... posted by drummagirl on April 05, 2003 at 03:36:11:

I am right there with the Russman from the cold depths of ND. I have heard some unbelievable things. Once when I purchased a garter snake from a pet store when I was a kid, I knew that they ate fish, frogs, etc, and the lady said that they ate crickets and grasshoppers. That MAY happen, but that is not a staple of the garter snake's diet. This was at the same place where they housed a desert king and a cal king in the same tank. I had to show them the reason why the cal king was so big that day. They were shocked to find out that kingsnakes like other snakes. The cal king did thank them for their ignorance.

I took my albino northern pine Carmella up to work last week, and first thing I heard was how slimy snakes are. Needless to say, the person that said that reversed that comment after touching her and feeling how dry her scales were.

The best thing to do is show people reality, present accurate info, and let the uniqueness of our beloved snakes show itself and you will see changes. Thanks for your post Carole! By the way, do you play drums?

: I was telling some people (ok, more like anyone who would listen) about my new little bullsnake and you wouldn't believe some of the things i heard. This one guy was telling me that i could save money by feeding my snake nothing but eggs because, you know, eggs are just as healthy as rodents. Oh, and also, snakes don't grow bigger than their enclosure, so i could keep my guy in a 10 gallon his whole life. I was trying to give this guy the right info,but he wouldn't listen. Scary, isn't it?? It was funny too, people were asking me why i didn't just go out and catch a bullsnake (they're native in kansas). once agian i was trying to explain why that wouldn't work. It was kinda like the old "flogging a dead horse" routine. Goes to show you just how misinformed the public is. Well, thanks for listening to me babble. Once again it's great to meet everyone, thanks for the warm welcome!!

:carole
:

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Bull, Pine, and Gopher Snake Forum ]