kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: CANDELING EGGS

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Bull, Pine, and Gopher Snake Forum ]

Posted by HDEAN on April 05, 2003 at 05:26:52:

In Reply to: CANDELING EGGS posted by P-RAT on April 03, 2003 at 13:14:45:

:THANKYOU CARL , how do you go about candling eggs,This is my first clutch ever ,my 2bulls are shedding now and expect them to lay soon,I guess alittle nervose,THANKS FOR YOUR HELP,P-RAT

PRAT,
Turn off the room lights and hold a pen light against the egg. You should see great vein work. Sometimes you need to move the pen light to a different angle to catch the lighting just right to see the veins. Good veins only mean that it is fertile and not that it will hatch. Something else, usually genetic, may happen during the process that will make the egg go bad. I have had veins not show up for 2 weeks after being laid which is unusual since they usually are there in a few days. I took perfect looking eggs that had no veins for 2 weeks to a show for kids to touch, pick up etc to feel a real egg and then when I got home I was going to go ahead and throw them out but something told me to re candle them and they had veins and all hatched. All the eggs were touched by a hundred people and not put back in the position as laid and they all hatched. I always candle eggs to know if the female and male are fertile. If you don't candle and the eggs look nice and white and then the go bad you will start to question what might have caused it when maybe they weren't fertile to start with. I have had perfect looking snow white eggs with no veins go past the expected hatch date and still be snow white even though they never had veins , didn't hatch and were never fertile. In my opinion you should leave the eggs alone as much as possible since there is no reason to bother them. However, I have done experiments with misting, turning eggs etc and have noticed no problems with these hatching. Eggs are tough and not as fragile as some people think. Not recommending you move them or turn them only saying if an accident happens don't panic. I have had eggs a week from hatching that were turned and still hatched. A friend of mine dropped a whole tray of eggs and they hit the floor from 4 feet off the ground and rolled around and there was no way to know in what position they originally were in and they all hatched. Good luck. HDEAN

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Bull, Pine, and Gopher Snake Forum ]