kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

thanks...more..

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Bull, Pine, and Gopher Snake Forum ]

Posted by nodaksnakelover on March 31, 2003 at 09:33:46:

In Reply to: Re: favorite egg incubation substrate??? posted by RedInTheTail on March 31, 2003 at 00:50:58:

Hey,
thanks for the reply, I hadn't gone to my favorite gardening store yet, but Walmart had their spring stuff out and fiance wanted to browse through and I noticed they had the other stuff but no vermiculite which I thought odd. I still plan to pick up vermiculite. My only problem with the stuff is if it gets too wet in the box the extra moisture doesn't just sit on the bottom it goes through the vermiculite pretty evenly and can rot an egg or two. I've even lost half of a huge clutch of corn eggs once. I'm just learning yet I guess! I'll have to run by the store today, I need to get the pinesnake's nest box in her cage. All I hope for now is for her to pass all the eggs safely with no egg binding. I'll keep all posted on her progress.
I noted on the Perlite bag it stated to keep from swallowing, and any open wounds...this bothered me a little. Any thoughts on that? Other than, well of course you don't eat the stuff, just wanting to be safe for my herp babies.
Russell

:I have found moss, to be ok to place around the eggs, just if the moisture is low. But for a substrate, I would recommend a 50-50 vermiculite and perlite mix. Worked good for me in the past. Moss must be top grade from the best source. IMHO not even worth the hassle, unless it is for high humidity (tropical) snake eggs.

:Worst comes to worst, use perlite. It is not bad, I just find vermiculite better and a mix even better than that.

:Vermiculite is avialable every where you look on the net (very cheap stuff), any garden store or THE HOME DEPOT. It should not be hard to find at all! Make a few calls!

:My 2 cents ;)

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Bull, Pine, and Gopher Snake Forum ]