kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

New Jersey's off limits

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Bull, Pine, and Gopher Snake Forum ]

Posted by PeeBee on March 27, 2003 at 22:54:31:

In Reply to: Collecting Northern Pines in South Jersey. posted by Kottonmouth on March 27, 2003 at 03:03:15:

: Has anyone here ever done it? I'm in the Philadelphia area, 5 minutes from New jersey. I would like to go over and try to find some northerns this summer. i was wondering if anyone has anything to share about their experiences collecting them and maybe where would be a good place to look. Also, would just like to brag that I now have 10 pines in my collection. But no northerns yet. And Jersey northerns are the most beautiful ones. Thanks alot for any help.

The Pine Barrens is the herp heaven for the Northeast. Unfortunately (fortunately for the herps) it's off limits to herpers. Forget herping in Jersey unless you want to just take photos. The wildlife authorities don't play down there. They specifically look for herpers. If they catch you with a herp, you're gonna get a summons that requires a court appearance. If they catch you with a threatened or endangered herp like a pine or a corn, they'll throw the book at you. I've heard of fines ranging from the hundreds to the thousands.

To my knowledge, N Pines are protected in every state of their range, except for SC, and maybe KY. Not sure about VA status. I thought I read they were protected there too, but I don't see it in their current regs. (http://www.dgif.state.va.us/regulations/VAC.html#4%20VAC%2015-360)

I thought that most of the N pines on the market were from NJ stock anyway. If not where do they come from?

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Bull, Pine, and Gopher Snake Forum ]