kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Feeding...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Bull, Pine, and Gopher Snake Forum ]

Posted by Jason Nelson on March 17, 2003 at 20:44:03:

In Reply to: Re: Feeding... posted by Steve G on March 16, 2003 at 19:13:25:

:::
:::My Gopher usually eats F/T but sometimes I give her live for some exercise. Yesterday she ate three with no problem. But today I gave her another and on the firs attempt she missed the head and grabed the body. I saw the mouse biting her, but it was over pretty fast. After she gobbled it up I picked her up to clean any wounds. I checked her everywhere, but not a scratch on her! I definately swa the mouse bite her, has anyone had this happen to their Pit? Are their scales so tough that they protect them against small bites? Anyway, I think I will stick to F/T from now on, just incase.

::Yah those scale are pretty tough . There are some pros and cons to feeding live vs F/T . F/T are better in some reguard to that they cant injure your snake and being frozen it kills parsite and bacteria in the mouse . But I personly like feeding live .
::Jason

:
:Jason,

:Why do you prefer live, as you just listed two reasons that dead may be better? Trust me when I tell you they don't need the exercise. The only time that I was nipped by a captive pit was when one of my northern pines lunged for a dead rat as I was holding it by the tail. Let one of your pits grab the rodent, and then you try pulling back. Most of the time they will wrap it up, and hiss a bit to let you know whom that food belongs to.........lol

Its the thrill of the kill, just kiding .Well the biggest reason I feed live is because I breed my own mice and its easier to feed them live rather then frezing them but I do the knock the adults mice out or stun them. I also feed them frozen / thawed about 50% of the time. I think F/T is the best way to go .
Jason

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Bull, Pine, and Gopher Snake Forum ]