kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Both Questions in one.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Bull, Pine, and Gopher Snake Forum ]

Posted by jcherry on March 13, 2003 at 19:38:27:

In Reply to: Quick question for you John, althoug not about... posted by gofer on March 13, 2003 at 12:29:18:

:deppei deppei, it's about Black Milks. I have tried to get a little informatino on when to introduce them from teh milk forum, but no luck. I was wondering if you still bred them, and/or if you could give me any breeding introduction tips. They have both just shed and are eating great. I don't know the best time to introduce though. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Have a good day,
:Gregg F.

::Billy,

::the deppei deppei group is one of the neatest of the pituophis when it comes to color change. as hatchlings they are a drab and rather ugly if I say so myself. It takes about three years old for them to really come into the color they will have as adults. They come in a wide array of ground colors, within our collection alone we have stark white, pastel blue, buckskin, tangerine orange, lemon yellow and pastel green. Couple those ground colors with the black blotches and they are striking.

::The drab colors as hatchlings were one of the reasons that back when Mexico was open to collection, so few of those ugly little snakes were brought back under collecting permits. I mean lets face it, with one spot left on your collecting permit, most folks would bring back great looking greeri instead of ugly little deppei deppei. They never knew what they were missing. Adults were rarely seen and those that were were road kills.

::As far as being able to see differences in the babies, after having seen literally 400 - 500 youngsters, I can tell what they are going to be in most cases. But only about 95% of the time. Each year when the youngsters hatch, I always end up having to keep a few just to see what they are going to be. This last year we had a lot of trouble with the different colors as they manifested themselves with the striped phase we are working with.

::hope that answers your question.

::John Cherry
::Cherryville farms

:
:

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Bull, Pine, and Gopher Snake Forum ]