kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: no expert, but here's my experience...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Bull, Pine, and Gopher Snake Forum ]

Posted by BILLY on March 08, 2003 at 15:02:57:

In Reply to: no expert, but here's my experience... posted by nodaksnakelover on March 08, 2003 at 03:26:35:

Hey!

I agree with Russell! He said some good things.

We as snake keepers tend to maybe feed snakes on a weekly basis that may not need it all the time. You know, if you feed once a week, you throw the food in there thinking that it is cool and they need it.

Myself as of lately, I do ask myself like what Russell was saying, " Does this snake really need to eat?"

IMHO, it is always better to perhaps have your snake a little big on the skinny side rather than overweight. Obesity causes so many problems. At shows, I have seen so many snakes that were so freaking fat! Mostly with kings and milks. I notice that with those certain snakes, the color doesn't come out as good when they are fat. Maybe it is just me, but think about it next time you see a fat snake.

My adults that are pits and lampropeltis, I usually feed every other week. My white bull is about 5 feet but still growing. I am talking about the ones that I know are full grown. He ( my white bull ) gets fed every week. BUT, others like my cal king, sinaloan milk, Applegate gopher, albino sonoran, they are all full grown and get fed every other week.

They do fine on this and their weight is never a problem. All my yearlings, hatchlings, etc get fed once a week or so. If a snake seems stocky, I hold off a week and by the next, he has slimmed down.

With this way, my snakes still grow and do very well.

Hope this helps!
Billy

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Bull, Pine, and Gopher Snake Forum ]