kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Can a virus save Frogs from fungal disease? . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Ringneck Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Caging and Under tank heating

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Beginner Snake Forum ]

Posted by genaroleon on April 08, 2003 at 09:05:55:

In Reply to: Caging and Under tank heating posted by kc8501 on April 08, 2003 at 08:41:52:

Well Ive never used the cobra heat matts but from what ive read, everyone states they work perfect - as long as your not resting the heatmat on carpet you should be fine. I dont know if cobra has an adhesive that you stick onto the tank or if it justs rests underdneath - either way it would be pretty much self explanatory when you see it. As far as the tank goes - if your going to be getting a screen top, Im not to sure if only using a UTH is going to properly heat the aquarium. It definately will not get your ambient tank temperatures too high. To keep the humidity up your going to want to cover pretty much most of the top with some plexyglass,pegboard,cardboard,rubbermaid lids... something that will trap the moisture inside - you will definately need to mist the tank. Most screen tops come with some sort of bolt that would go through the screen frame so the lid will not open if pulled - personally i dont use screen tops anymore, I just build all my tanks.

:Hi,

:I have a couple of questions for the masses... I am planning on getting a ball python soon and have been looking at vision cages etc, but want it to look like furniture, and I preferred the front opening. Originally I was going to put it on top of another piece of furniture, but it is wood and I am truely terrified of the fire hazzards if something were to malfunction, and am even less fond of lamps.

:The other day I was looking at large aquarium setups and realized that I could get one of those (stand included) that would look nice and, as the bottom of the cage would not be resting on anything flammable, the UTH would work. Questions are:

:1. How would you attach it,
:2. would this cause it to be harder to maintain the proper temperature because of the greater air exposure etc. (are the cobra heat maps reliable??)
:3. What would be the best type of top w/lock to put on an aquarium, I have kids, the more secure the better.

:Thanks, KC

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Beginner Snake Forum ]