kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Ball Python or Corn Snake?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Beginner Snake Forum ]

Posted by CulebraOnna on March 19, 2003 at 17:05:53:

In Reply to: Ball Python or Corn Snake? posted by SnakeNewbie on March 19, 2003 at 14:56:01:

:Hi, I'm new to this hobby and I'm looking to buy my first snake. I've narrowed down to either a corn snake or a ball python. I was wondering if you guys could tell me the advantages and disadvantages of each? Price, tempermant, feeding, etc. Thanks for any help!

Corn Snakes: Only cons I can think of is that they're fairly common, if you're looking for something a bit more unusual. They're also rather squirmy when they're young. Pros: They're cheap (starting at $15 for normals up to about $150 for new morphs), come in a variety of morphs, and are nearly all captive bred. They typically are calm, and though hatchlings may be fiesty, any bites won't hurt. They'll eat mice and rats fairly readily, assuming that you get a well-started snake.

Ball Pythons: Cons are that you may get a wild-caught or captive-hatched ball, which is not ideal for a new owner. They can be tricky to feed also, and tend to go on fasts. Though there's a fair amount of variation in pattern and color, anything that's not a normal will cost you over a thousand dollars. They can have shedding problems. Pros are that they're a solid snake that's not too squirmy. They tend to be "curl up and hope they go away" snakes, rather than a defensive one who will bite.

Corn snakes are some of my favorites. I have a picture of me literally hugging one a few years back when I was 7-ish. :) After keeping a ball python for a year and a half, I can say that while she is very rewarding, they aren't for the typical beginning keeper, and I've had exceptional luck with her. And wheeeee! she shed today, and is oh-so-pretty. :)

Anyways, good luck, and come back if you've any questions!

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Beginner Snake Forum ]