kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Tinley Reflections: An open letter from Mom . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Help choosing please!?!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Beginner Snake Forum ]

Posted by tekmunki on February 24, 2003 at 12:37:25:

In Reply to: Re: Help choosing please!?! posted by Andy_G on February 22, 2003 at 23:13:03:

I will agree with the Jungle Carpet Python... Great choice, and probably wouldn't stress if put in a classroom. The humidity requirements aren't as mad as an emerald or so, so it won't be that much of a problem. I'd say misting it daily would be a fun project for the kids to take turns doing. MAKE SURE you handle the specimen and get a captive bred (pref many generations captive) and make sure it isn't nippy. My Aug 02 pair refuses to nip, so they are out there...

Also, why not broaden their herp experience across another family with a lizard (leopard gecko), turtle or such?

As always, before getting anything - read up on it and do lots of research, have the cage ready (and in this case - kid-proof it with a lock)

:There are a few extremely popular breeds of python/boa around that range at an adult size from 3-6 feet in length, but all specie that are truly aboreal are EXTREMELY agressive and have quite large teeth for holding prey such as birds. The Amazon Tree Boa, Emerald Tree Boa and Green Tree Python are the three main aboreal specie around. Out of the three, the Green Tree Python is usually the least agressive, but I have not heard of any specimen of any of these three that don't nip on at least a weekly basis. I don't reccomend small aboreal for a classroom, however, a good semi-aboreal specie that maxes out at 6 feet for a male is a Jungle Carpet Python. These are sometimes quite fickle as babies but generally calm down as they age.

:
::I currently have a reverse okeetee corn, and have had him for a couple years. I am a school teacher, and am going to be keeping him in the classroom to teach the children. So, I am in the market for a new snake. I like the size of the corn (5-6' max.). However, I was thinking of getting something aboreal. I know some of the constrictor's are aboreal, but I assume they are too big. Is there a breed that is around 5-6'? Thanks, cheers!

:
:

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Beginner Snake Forum ]