kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Feeding inside cage versus outside cage

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Beginner Snake Forum ]

Posted by Classic_Dums on February 12, 2003 at 04:56:55:

In Reply to: Feeding inside cage versus outside cage posted by ThePetFactory on February 12, 2003 at 04:21:42:

We feed all of our snakes inside their cages. I feel it's really important with large snakes such as burms and retics because they have such a heavy feeding response that can last for along time after they eat. Getting them back into their cage is taking a risk that can be avoided IMO. My burms have a heavy feeding response and I won't stick my hand in there for at least 1-2 days after they have eaten. I like my hands....LOL. Also you don't want to condition them to associate coming out of the cage with feeding. Then when you have to remove them for cage cleaning, transport, etc etc they might go into feeding mode. Again not a good situation. I don't feel it's that big of deal with smaller stuff like balls, corns, kings, etc because if they do bite it's not near as bad as a large snake, but we still feed all in their cages. No need to stress out a snake if you don't have to. Stress can lead to regurge and that's not anything you want either. Also feeding with tongs helps them disassociate your hands with feeding. Just my opinion

Danni :) SMILE

:I am a manager of a Pet Store in Salt Lake City, Utah. I have had many constrictors including Burms, Red Tails, Bloods, and Balls. I am thuroughly convinced to feed in side the cage. The owner of the shop disagrees with me about this practice. I would like everyone's opinion, please. I would like some reasons to take back to him to convince him to side with me on this issue. Please help!! Thanks!!

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Beginner Snake Forum ]