kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

I think....

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Boa Forum ]

Posted by VAReptileRescue on May 08, 2003 at 11:33:06:

In Reply to: need proof.. posted by crazycorn on May 07, 2003 at 19:14:44:

....you can greatly prove to your Mom right now the maturity level you THINK you have by stopping and listening to what folks are saying. You seem to think that because we aren't immediately siding with you that we are attacking you. That just isn't so!! One thing about being an adult is that means you have more experience; it doesn't mean we're better, or necessarily smarter, or even more passionate about our hobby. It means we've had more experiences from which to draw conclusions.

Now, if you're still reading this, consider the below things:

1) A very large percentage of animals that come into rescue groups come from folks who got them as teens, and either lost interest (and I always hear, "But he was SOOO responsible and good with them at first, but then he lost interest!), or else they went off to a college, where most colleges don't allow pets in the dorms. Since most reptiles will certainly outlive the average cat or dog, it probably isn't a wise thing to expect that your Mom will care for your reptiles while you're away at college.

2) EVERY, I mean EVERY, herper has a responsibility to be the best keeper in the world. Why?? Any time a herper makes a mistake, and someone is bitten, or frightened, or a herp escapes, it's the REST OF THE HERPERS who pay for it. This is not like other hobbies where we are independent of each other. Someone flying model planes that wrecks it into the elementary school playground is not going to cause an immediate ban on model planes. But let a snake escape and show up somewhere, and you'll get laws passed faster than ... well, fast. For that reason, it is of the utmost importance that anyone looking at handling a large reptile (of any kind) has the PHYSICAL, FINANCIAL, and MENTAL ability to do so. While I do not question the mental aspect for you (in other words, you seem like a sincere person who knows what you're doing), I don't think you'll be able to physically and financially do this.

PLEASE take these things into consideration. I am always SOOOOOOO happy to see a young person becoming interested in a good hobby, especially this one. I teach high school, and I wouldn't do so if I did not truly enjoy working with folks your age. But, please, please, please, please remember that we "old folks" (I'm 32) aren't trying to boss you around - we're trying to help you, and the only way we can help is if you listen. You've been given some other alternatives here, investigate them before you just disregard them because they aren't what you wanted to hear.

Good luck,

Bonnie Keller
VA Reptile Rescue

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Boa Forum ]