kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Kenyan Sand Boa Questions

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Boa Forum ]

Posted by fossil on May 03, 2003 at 22:23:47:

In Reply to: Kenyan Sand Boa Questions posted by dleary on May 03, 2003 at 18:57:17:

I am not an expert, but I have 13 Kenyans. The humidity sounds fine, and the tank sounds like the perfect size. 25" is probably full grown for a male. I feed mine mice once a week (fuz, hopper or full grown -depending on snake size). I stun or use FT for anything above fuz). Be advised though that Kenyans will sometimes eat regular, then just stop for a month or so, then start back up. I have heard of folks with males that ate on the average of once every other month. It will drive you up the wall if you are used to a snake feeding very regularly. I would advise that you NEVER feed on substrate. There are a lot of folks do and get away with it for awhile, and a lot of folks that will never do it again. I found the calci sand stayed too moist for me. I have also used walnut, aspen, sani-chips, and care fresh. Kenyans seem to feel comfortable with some weight of substrate over them, and it is cool to watch them "swim" in it. However, even with spot cleaning it is hard to keep a sanitary environment. I am currently using several layers of newspapers, with a wad of shreaded newspapers in one end for all mine. If you keep yours on substrate, and you are not seeing him often enough because of the burrowing, try putting a piece of plexiglass (round the edges)on top of the substrate as a viewing port. One thing to learn about the Kenyans is the swim/jerk response. Some totally grow out of this, but others will startle you until you learn to expect it. The same FAST smim/jerk movement they use to "dive" through substrate for escape, they will do when you are holding them. It is fast, and at first you will think you are getting bit, but it is just an escape response. They get over it with handling. You will enjoy your Kenyan. Frank

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Boa Forum ]