kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Reintroduced Siamese Crocodile exhibits first time nesting . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

I agree

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Beginner Lizard Forum ]

Posted by hippie on March 21, 2003 at 11:46:57:

In Reply to: Read first posted by brad wilson on March 05, 2003 at 09:37:49:

An Iguana isn't a good starter Lizzie. I learned the hard way. They are the most dumped off and neglected pets that I can think of. They grow huge and many do not have great dispositions at all. Many of them are not even healthy when you get them and the pet stores (like most other things that they say or sell) do not know how to care for them and can not explain to buyer all that Iguanas need. Many people get them b/c they are so cheap and everyone "knows" what they look like and such. It's not fair to the aniaml. Not saying that you would be a bad owner of one b/c you might be awesome, it's just not a good lizzie to start of with. They have alot of consider in handling and careing for them. The Iguana that I had only lived a year and he suffered a bit towards the new. The Vet said that it wasn't anything that I was doing wrong but that it was just so unhealthy when I first got it. See, I did research before getting him and thought that I knew what to do with one. I wasn't going to get one but after seeing the cute little ones at this pet store (which I don't shop at anymore) and the lady talking to me about "oh they are great and easy to care for" I gave it. I just like to think that Sublime lived out his life better than he would have in the pet store. He was only about 1 foot the whole time that I had him. Looking back I KICK myself for not realizing that he should have grown more than that. They are just too much to start off with and many people do not realize just now BIG they get. Now I've got a SUPER cool Mali Uromasitix lizard who is easy to care for and is super friendly. Check out the Uromastix message board and also the Beardered Drakon message board.

-CHER

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Beginner Lizard Forum ]